California Attorney General Confirms GPC Signal as Acceptable Opt-Out Method
On July 19th, 2021 California Attorney General Rob Banta held a press conference to commemorate the one-year anniversary of the California Consumer Privacy Act enforcement date. During the conference, the Attorney General encouraged California residents to remain vigilant and proactive regarding their privacy rights. In addition to this he acknowledged the many businesses that promptly complied with the monumental privacy law.
The Attorney General did comment on his office’s efforts to crackdown on non-compliance and the actions being taken by businesses, stating that, “75% of businesses that received a notice to cure addressed the alleged CCPA violations within the 30-day window. The remaining 25% are either within their 30-day window or are under an active investigation.” In his address the Attorney General highlighted four detailed examples of CCPA violations his office had focused on the past year. These included:
- Consumer complaints regarding slow response rate to CCPA requests and lack of notification of request receipt or completion.
- Forced sharing of consumers’ personal information and the absence of a “do not share” link.
- Failure to notify consumers of the use of their personal information at the time of collection
- Requiring consumers to share personal information to participate in loyalty programs while failing to provide notice of the financial incentives.
In addition to this the Attorney General updated the CCPA FAQ with solutions to some of these violations. Mostly notably the CCPA FAQ was updated to clarify that the Global Privacy Control is an, “acceptable method for consumers to opt-out of sales”. Taking this a step further the update requires that the GPC, “must be honored by covered businesses as a valid consumer request to stop the sale of personal information.”
This update addresses Section 999.315(c) of the CCPA regulation stating, “[i]f a business collects personal information from consumers online, the business shall treat user-enabled global privacy controls, such as a browser plug-in or privacy setting, device setting, or other mechanism, that communicate or signal the consumer’s choice to opt-out of the sale of their personal information as a valid [opt-out of sale] request . . . .”
Currently 50 million individuals are using browsers and tools that support the GPC. Publishers utilizing consent and preference management platforms CMPs, such as OneTrust’s are able to easily implement the GPC to empower consumers to opt-out of sales.
What is the GPC?
The Global Privacy Control empowers users to signal their chosen privacy settings to websites and services through their browser. This signal communicates consumers’ expectations around the sharing and sale of their data online. Additionally, this feature promotes trust between customers and businesses.
How can users’ opt-in to the GPC and control their privacy using OneTrust’s CMP?
OneTrust customers can implement the GPC signal by downloading one of the supporting browsers and browser extensions, listed here. To learn more about how the GPC you can download additional information.
- Turn on the signal: Turn on the Global Privacy Control signal in your browser-level settings to communicate your privacy preferences to publishers.
- Send the signal: Your browser settings will communicate your preference settings to websites when using the signal.
- Exercise your rights: After turning on the privacy setting your browser or extension automatically communicates your preferences with participating websites to respect your rights according to your settings.
How OneTrust Helps Support the GPC Signal
OneTrust supports the GPC signal through our cookie product and consent managemet platform (CMP). Customers can set a signal in the OneTrust environment under the targeting category to enable this feature. As a result, your website automatically accepts the visitor’s signal preferences.
In addition to supporting CCPA compliance through the GPC signal the OneTrust Consent Management Platform helps publishers and advertisers:
- Drive opt-ins and engagement – Track and analyze consent rates with pre-built, real-time dashboards and reporting, deploy A/B testing, and monitor to maximize opt-in rates.
- Earn audience trust – Demonstrate transparency and empower audiences with tools to control their consent and preferences.
- Protect your ad revenue – Support header bidding/pre-bidding and monetize content in new ways based on first-party data.
- Share signals – Sync with IAB TCF, IAB CCPA, Salesforce DMP, IAB TCF, Google DFP / AdSense / AdX, Google Tag Manager, Adobe DTM and more
- Integrate with existing tech stack – protect investments with easy integrations to other solutions such as Adobe Advertising Cloud, Facebook, FreeWheel, mParticle, Salesforce Audience Studio and more