Preference Centers and Customer Trust
Brands and marketers can leverage preference centers to win customer trust delivering security, transparency, and control to users.
Trust in brands is at a low point.
Your company’s ability to succeed in the modern marketing world hinges on a key concept: Building customer trust.
When you put users in control of their own data security and privacy you are able to win customer trust. Forward-thinking brands build a culture around privacy, transparency, and trust. Furthermore, they deliver on their promises by using accurate and efficient preference management tactics to drive communications, campaigns and sales cycles.
Preference management is a way for brands to ensure when consumers hand over data, everything possible is done to keep it safe and use it for the consumers’ best interests.
Savvy companies will use preference management tools and processes to make the status and use of consumer data crystal clear. This includes:
- Improving transparency through cookies consent: Customers understand when their data is being collected and how it’s being used.
- Giving complete control through preference centers: Customers can willingly offer brands extra data about their demographics, interests and motivations.
- Enforcing customer consent and preferences through processes and tools: Across channels and along every step of the buying journey, brands must keep their promises.
A Preference Center Strategy
Brands can implement a preference center to fulfil preference management strategies. Customers intrinsically place their trust in companies that deliver messaging at the time, place, and frequency consumers prefer.
Taking this into consideration, effective preference center will start with three main areas:
- Channels – Let users choose the method by which they’d like to receive communication: Email, SMS, print, and in-browser notifications are some of these options.
- Frequency – Avoid communication fatigue by giving users the power to choose how often they receive communications.
- Interests – From the subject matter areas you cover with your content, allow users to choose which they’re interested in hearing from your brand about.
Customers today want brands to tailor messaging to their interests. Brands that deliver on the information consumers willingly provide will undoubtedly win trust from those same customers. That’s also why it’s so important to avoid collecting information you can’t or won’t use. This will only serve to deteriorate trust with customers instead of build it.
An effective preference center can be the difference between an opt-out and an engaged, loyal consumer who trusts your brand.
In it to Win it
Like most things worth having, customer trust can’t be earned quickly or through gimmicks. You can – and should – implement preference management best practices like a preference center as soon as possible.
But building customer trust means showing up again and again over a long period of time. The good news is, once you’re in, you’re in. In fact, 93% of consumers say they’re most likely to recommend a company they trust.
If you want to win customer trust for your brand, preference management is the smart way to do it. And if you need a preference management solution to automate the hardest parts of the process, OneTrust PreferenceChoice is an industry leader. Reach out today to schedule a 1-1 meeting for more information about our preference management platform.